Sunday, February 8, 2009

Oprah is getting a little too attached to her golfballs

Ok, so it looks like we will have baby chicks today or tomorrow. I don't see any of them pipping the shell, but I heard a faint cry from one of them, which is always a good sign.

We want Oprah to raise at least some of the babies, so Andy mentioned that this might be a good time to move some of the eggs to her. So I made Oprah get off her golf balls, like I do every morning and brought her her own special food bowl and made her eat (otherwise she might not, and she's gotten deathly thin lately waiting for those golfballs to hatch!). She loves some strawberry yogurt. She went out into the coop and got some water and terrorized the other chickens (as if to say, "I'm about to be a momma, the rest of you need to back up!") while I went inside to grab her 3 eggs.

I put them in my bra (to regulate their temperature until Oprah came back, can't let them get too cold) and went to the coop and waited for her to go back into the chicken house. When I saw her heading in, I moved the golf balls into the other nest box and put the 3 little eggs in her favorite little box. She looked at the eggs like "those aren't my kids" and walked over to the big box (which she hates) and was about to get in there. I had to pull all the golf balls out in a hurry and put one with the real eggs. She got upset I pulled the golfballs and then saw one in HER nest and went for it, like "Oh there's my children."

LOL. Funny chickens. As soon as we get babies, I'll post pics, of course!

1 comment:

JEZZIKAzart Photos & Design said...

aww! i cant wait to see the babies. Oprah is a smart & funny little chicken! :D