Sunday, February 22, 2009

Helmet's sexual advances...

I just went out to bring the chickadees some fruits and veggies. I then went around back and opened up the chicken house door to turn off the heat lamps. My little rooster Helmet came running up into the chicken house, like he always does.

I typically give Helmet extra love and treats when he runs up in there. Since he has vision issues he has grown up knowing that if he sits on my lap or watches for me I'll help him by giving him a big bowl of food just for him. (I think he aims funny so if it's just one piece of food he goes down to bite and his beak goes to low. But in a big bowl he is sure to grab something.)

Yesterday when I went to open the chicken house door to turn on the heat lamps he grabbed a hold of my hand and really bit into it. My chickens are not violent in any way and typically don't bite. I held it there to see what he'd do and he just bit me, nothing more. He has also started lifting one of his legs funny, like he's starting to do the rooster dance at us. My husband Andy, swears that Helmet bit into him a couple of nights ago and started humping the air.

This morning Helmet ran into the chicken house and immediately started doing a mini rooster dance around me, claiming me as one of his hens. Didn't bite me this morning though and no air humping.

I THINK he may have tried to breed with Nugget the other day. I had them free ranging and I heard a commotion. I looked over and saw what looked to be Helmet biting Nugget in the neck area, almost as if he were trying to dominate over her and Nugget throwing a fit. Typically, all the Showgirls leave Nugget alone as she is older and has established herself as higher in the pecking order. However, Nugget just keeps to herself and doesn't really harass anyone. So I'm thinking Nugget was experimenting with his new found libido on Nugget and didn't quite know what he's doing. Looks to me like he's still trying to master the biting then jumping on the back maneuver.

About a week ago he started crowing as well. Which is quite cute. But if you've ever heard a Silkie/Showgirl crow, it's not near as loud as a regular rooster's and is almost pathetic, lol.

Now Rotisserie, aka Crazy, is also having some sexual feelings of her own. They say a rooster knows when a hen is ready and when we let her out to free range a bit the neighbor rooster tries to claim her but not Star, who is the same age. Rotisserie immediately runs away--I mean come on, we raised her better then that to just give it up to any old rooster!

However, she will give it up for Andy!

Rotisserie has started running from me in the last month or so (unless I have food) but if she's in the chicken house with Andy, she drops to the ground and gets all flat for him as if to say, "take me big boy." Andy finds this quite amusing and will pet her and "rub her wattles." (For non chicken people, that's the red things that hang under her beak.) And she just seems to love it. She even jumped on his back the other day and when he put his hand back there she nestled close and did the same thing.

Good lord, we currently have a rooster that only wants to do people and a hen that thinks my husband is her rooster.

1 comment:

JEZZIKAzart Photos & Design said...

too hilarious! hehe your chickens are awesome! haha!