Saturday, January 17, 2009

The Sizzle Sisters

Whenever I tell someone I'm going to a chicken swap meet they usually get a smirk on their face. It's weird and I probably would do the same if I didn't own chickens! Heck, even other people I know who own chickens think chicken swap meets are funny and odd. But that's where I went today after doing some volunteer work.

Picked up some Sizzle chicks. If you aren't familiar with them they are Silkies but they have been bred with another chicken to get a curly feather. To me chickens who have this sizzled/frizzled gene look like pine cones. It's kind of the hip thing to do right now with chickens.

Here are the Sizzle sisters. Not sure yet if I'm going to keep them or sell them. They don't look like show quality, but I wouldn't mind having them breed with my roos (when they get old enough) to maybe get some sizzle babies. (I don't know how genetics works for these guys, may not work. We'll see.)

Living in the bathtub for right now:

And here's a pic I found on the web to show you what a good Sizzle will likely look like. It came from Knightschicks.com
I also bought some more eggs. Have over 20 in the bator now. The big dirty ones are duck eggs (not supposed to wash fertile eggs if you want to hatch them)The little cream ones are Silkies and the darker ones on the right are standard Cochins.
Cochins are feather footed like Silkies, but the standards are huge! I fell in love with them at the poultry show last weekend. Probably will only be able to keep one or two though and have to sell the rest, if anyone is interested.





1 comment:

JEZZIKAzart Photos & Design said...

*gives you a smirk and giggles* You & your chickens hehe It's cute!