Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas Day

Figured I'd better post these up before we ring in the new year.

We have taken in two stray chickens a Barred Rock (whom we call Barbara, get it, it sounds like Barred Rock!) and a Rhode Island Red (we just call her Red). Several of their field mates were picked up by hawks or other animals, so we've been letting these two stay in our coop with the Silkies & Showgirls. The upside is, large brown eggs!

Out of our flock, only Oprah is laying. Mrs. Nugget should start laying any day now and the Showgirls are about 2-3 months from laying.

So Red lays an egg about every day, Barbara about every other day and Oprah about one every 2 days. About 3-4 times so far we have had a day where all three lay on the same exact day and we find 3 eggs in the nest box. Christmas was one of those days.

The little white egg is Oprah's.
We were all watching the movie "Elf" and I went out and pulled Helmet out of the coop. Put a blue towel on Andy (hubby) and he held him for awhile. Helmet just nestled down and chilled in the house.

If two years ago you were to tell me that one day I would be laying on the couch with a chicken in my lap, I would have laughed my head off!
A close up shot of Helmet. Our Christmas cards this year featured a pic of them. I think I overheard my friends talking about how ugly the Showgirls are, lol.
I must admit, at first I didn't like them, but they grew on me. And then when they hatched out of the eggs, their teeny little bodies with this little bit of nakedness, ooooh, so adorable.
We are pretty sure Helmet is a rooster. And he is probably the sweetest little chicken in the coop. If I come in to the coop and go for my bench he runs over there and jumps up, waiting to jump on my lap.
If he's not scouring the ground for snacks he'll usually get up and nestle down in my lap. I never thought chickens would be like that.

I hope you had a Merry Christmas and I wish you a Happy New Year!

No comments: